Wednesday, August 15, 2007

...because, it's there!

On top of the peak, after an arduous 6-hr climb, I lay exhausted... soaking up the sun. And I thought...

Why did I want to climb this peak? Was it prove my fitness to myself? I could have done that in the gym or in the pool... didn't need to take a 3-day trip to Yosemite for that! Maybe I did it just to break the monotony of an urban existence... maybe. The simple answer is that I did it
- because the peak was there to be taken

Why do we want to surf gigantic 100 foot waves in the pacific?
- because the waves are there to be conquered

Why do we want to explore space?
- because it's all around us challenging us constantly

Why does one need to sail across the world?
- because the winds and the seas are there to be explored

Why do I want to trek the Himalayas one day?
- because it's there

The key to most adventurous undertakings in our lives is pretty simple.
We do it... because it's there!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also think the unknown beckons our sensibilities. We love the challenge of a new experience.We want to push our limits. We want to conquer.

It must have been quite an experience for it to warrant 2 back to back posts. :)

Pratik said...

It was one of the most tiring experiences, but all worth it :)

By the way, what's "sensible" about climbing a seemingly insurmountable mountain, or riding a deathwish in the form of a 100-ft wave? The question really is - is it sensible the push the limits of human tolerance? It doesn't seem "sensible" in any way... but it is human to be a hard-ass and persistent when faced with a challenge :)

Anonymous said...

Sensibilities: Faculties

not as in being sensible. :)

Pratik said...

oops... that was really stupid of me :D

Madhvi said...

I think all these 'Whys' dont have an answer....We do them because we want to do them, we can do them and we should always do them....its unreasonable to reason such things for an adventure enthusiast :)

Pratik said...

hahaha... I am sure all the adventure junkies love you for saying that! And yes, it is quite unreasonable to expect a rational explanation for such actions!