Thursday, July 26, 2007

Of 73,44,000 seconds and 6 books

My last post is almost 3 months old as I am typing this out. In the 73,44,000 seconds that have elapsed since then, what have I achieved?

To tell you the truth, there is nothing to write about all those millions of wasted seconds. I warmed my chair at work during weekdays. Went to the gym or played squash during weeknights. Played cricket and watched movies on weekends. No travel, no new activity, no challenges, no break from the routine!

But yes, I did read a few good books during this passage of time. Anderson Cooper fascinated me with his Dispatches from the Edge. Bill Bryson humored me with his adventurous Walk in the Woods. And he is dazzling me with mundane facts in A Short History of Nearly Everything. Chris Anderson's exploration of The Long Tail was captivating to say the least. And Ashok Banker had me craving for more through the Prince of Ayodhya, the first book of his 6-volume Ramayana series. Oh, and Michael Lewis, he of the Liar's Poker fame, also had me eating out of his hands with Next, and collection of groundbreaking stories from the early days of the internet.

So, is that justice to the 3 months of supposedly wasted time? Yeah, I think so! Although I would have been happy to finish at least 2/3 more page-turners. But then page-turners are a hard breed to find.

3 comments:

don'thaveaclue said...

dude...you don't have to necessarily only write about stuff that you've done...also stuff that you've thought about...think of your blog title!

Anonymous said...

Ooh! Look what happened here?! Nice changes.

A Short History of Nearly everything is being read in this part of the world, just about now. I don't think I am ever going to be able to think like I used to with this whole new perspective on things.

Nice to see you update. I really hope you would do it more often.

Pratik said...

DHC - valid point mate. If only I wasn't so lazy...

EU - I keep promising myself and you that I will be more regular. But it just fizzes out over time. Hope this time the force sustains me longer :)