Sunday, October 22, 2006

A different Diwali...

I am obviously feeling nostalgic right now. Been talking to folks back in India, wishing them a bright and cheerful Diwali! Yes, I am longing to see beautifully lit homes, elegantly dressed damsels and the whole festive atmosphere. I miss the sweets and the crackers. But it's not so bad. Technology allows me to chat with every1 at no cost. I can still participate in every1's festivities, albeit long-distance.
But then I reach out to the folks here with me. We are only as lonely as we force ourselves to be. So, we go to catch a first day screening of DON at a nearby desi theater. Damn, even SRK is tolerable this far from home! So what if he always overacts? We visit a Ganesh temple marked by a glowing neon sign between a grocery store and a dentist's clinic in a shopping complex! Well, the lord doesn't seem to mind the location... so why should we :). Came back and decided to have home-cooked desi meal. And expert cooks that we are, we served ourselves a lavish meal of plain rice and dal with some delicious mango pickle... and topped it up with a choc ice-cream! Have to say it was one of the better meals I have had since coming here.
I guess we could have easily sulked individually - each one of us calling home, friends and feeling increasingly more helpless after each conversation. But cultural needs are powerful drivers that bring us together in such times. I am glad I spent this Diwali making new friends...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

daddy...your remember your KRA's for your US trip? Get cracking boyo, am eagerly awaiting your own version of onetrackmind!

Pratik said...

ruk ja saale... ek to EDS sala veerane mein hai.... Plano has got no bloody night life dude! But hang on, you will get some updates... insha allah! :)

educatedunemployed said...

Sounds like a good Diwali to me, why does every one hate SRK.He is soooooooo..Oh ok will spare you the agony...