Sunday, October 29, 2006

Latin anyone???

I have been fascinated by Latin - on and off, as I encounter interesting phrases used in movies, mags, books, etc. Some popular ones are...
Carpe Diem - Seize the day -- Definitely one of my favorites.
Mea Culpa - by my fault
Locus standi - the right to be heard in court
Magan cum laude - with great honour, usually with academic distinction
Quo vadis - where are you going?
Reductio ad absurdum - reduction to the absurd. Used as "proving the truth of a proposition by falsifying all the alternatives".
Veni, vidi, vici - I came, I saw, I conquered!
And then there are some rather interesting ones...
In vino veritas - in wine there is truth
Oh yeah baby, there's no denying that!
Memento mori - remember that you have to die!
Multus amicus, nullus amicus - A friend to all is a friend to none
Ye all who think life's a popularity contest, think again!
So I tried to translate some common phrases to latin, resulting in this...
Know yourself - Teneo vestri
You are not alone - vos es non unus
Life is beautiful - vita est decorus
Live like a king - ago amo a rex rgis
The truth is out there - verum est sicco illic
Made for each other - no pro invicem
Stop wasting your time - subsisto populatio vestri vicis
Get a life - adepto a vita
hello, why are you still reading? :P

1 comment:

educatedunemployed said...

Ha ha..so rude!!!..:P

In vino veritas.. Enough reason for me to love the language.